A few weeks ago, a client who usually cleans our offices, Steve Erickson, asked "Why don't we help Iowa?" I have to admit that I was a little apathetic about it but I asked if any staff would be willing to help put a trip together.
On Wednesday, a crew of 6, 3 clients and 3 staff, left to go to Iowa City to help the United Way of Johnson County with flood clean-up.
This morning, I woke up to 2 articles written about our crew who were cleaning up rancid garbage and moving sandbags. And of course, there was Steve, in his humble way saying that he was just moved by the disaster areas he saw on TV. He just wanted to help.

This isn't the first time Tasks clients have given back using their own vacation time to volunteer and help others. There were crews that went to Grand Forks, ND and Appalachia. But this time, people noticed that those who are so often mistaken to be burdens of society are not, they can be regular people. No, they're not regular people, they're extraordinary people.
No comments:
Post a Comment